Every Ones’ Favourite Wine Glasses

Every Ones’ Favourite Wine Glasses

Choosing your favourite wine glasses can get in the way of enjoying your drink.  Some wine aficionados may insist on the correct glass for a particular wine.  They also go so far as to identify the correct type of glass the vessel should be made of.

This is fine for some folks, but I have some different ways of determining my favourite wine glasses.

favourite wine glasses in cupboardFirst of all, I use what I have in my home.  I am not going to have several cupboards filled with various types of vino glass, in sets of six, in my home.

I have two sets, one for regular wine drinking, and on for desert wine drinking.  That’s it!

My regular, everyday set of  wine glasses is stemmed, with a larger bowl.  The box says they are 16 oz. and are Pinot Grigio, however I never limit myself to that flavour.  The reason why I prefer this type of glass is that, with my disability, I find them easier to hold.  I like the look of stemless wine glasses, but they are difficult to hold.  Also, I do not care for a small glass!

The size of the glass may have an effect on the amount a person drinks.  Researchers at The Guardian found that serving wine in a larger glass prompted most people to drink more.

The desert wine glasses are different  in that they are quite a bit smaller than a regular wine glass.   This is because a desert wine can be very intense and often Dessert wine glass sweet, so you do not want much in a serving.  Besides the smaller glasses are cute!

Lead Crystal

In the past, lead crystal was considered the top of the line in glass ware. however, it has been demonstrated that lead crystal may release lead into the food or beverage that is being consumed.  In addition, the coating of the crystal pattern may contain lead and cadmium which can be absorbed and be harmful to your health.  Caution is advised when using lead crystal glassware.

Today, manufacturers are creating glass that is magnificently beautiful, dishwasher safe and lead free.

Dishwasher safe is a must!

Having and knowing about every type of wine glass can be viewed as either pretentious or being an expert.  I am neither.  Where do you fall on the continuum?

My Journey Through Wine

As I progress through life, and specifically as delve into the world of wine, I am finding so many new and interesting things, as relates to the subject.

What I have discovered is the number and

Lady drinking wine

type of glassware is staggering. Glassware differs in shape, size, origination, and name brand just to mention a few.

To cover all the types of wine related glassware is a daunting project, not

to be covered in this post.  I am aware of my limitations!

You can view  more extensive  example of wine glasses and where to get them in my Guide to Wine Glasses.

It is difficult to define my favourite wine glasses, with so many beautiful pieces to chose from.

If you have any questions of comments, I welcome them below.Judy

This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure for more info.

1. Matthew Owen

May 31, 2017 at 10:53 am

You definitely know your wine glasses. I am no expert in the slightest but I will be hosting a dinner for friends soon and only have the one set.
    Any ideas on where to get some good quality glasses please.

1. Judith

May 31, 2017 at 11:20 am

Thanks for the comment. A person could get bogged down in choosing glasses. Your choice of wine glasses might depend on how much money you want to spend. You could get practical lovely set of glasses at amazon.com, or if you are more tactile, you could get them at any department store. Or you can go high end and get Waterford Crystal out of Ireland.

2. Steve

August 23, 2017 at 10:49 am

I like your style with only having two types of wine glasses in your cupboard. As with anything, you can certainly go overboard and spend a lot of money on different wine glasses. My wife has been leaning toward stemless wine glasses lately, since they are easier to fit in the dishwasher. I agree with you that wine glasses made from actual glass have come a long way. Great information in your post. I will check back in the future for more awesome posts.

1. Judith

August 23, 2017 at 10:56 am

Thank you for the comment. There are so many types of glasses. Check out my Wine Glass Product Guide.

3. Irma

August 23, 2017 at 3:00 pm

Thank you for this post! I have a set of red wine glasses that I was going to give away until my daughter started drinking wine. As a fan of white wines, I told my daughter that my glasses are the wrong kind for white wine. So she asked me why? Reading your post today has encouraged me to just simplify my life and not bother worrying about having a bunch of different types of glasses, but to just enjoy the wine!

4. Andrei

September 11, 2017 at 1:52 pm

Great post, Judith!

I just broke two glasses and I was looking to purchase a new set. I never knew how to pick the right glass and I would like to thank you for taking time to write the guide! I believe it will take me a few hours until I will find the right set… Lol. Thank you so much for writing it!

1. Judith

September 11, 2017 at 2:04 pm

Thank you for the comment. choosing the right glass house for your wine can be fun and a great learning experience.

5. Dale Mazurek

September 11, 2017 at 9:17 pm

Well I don’t drink wine because I could never find a wine that I like. And I never knew how important wine glasses were. To me a plastic glass was good enough. My in laws love wine so I showed them your site and they were impressed at how you knew your wine glasses. They had a good look and asked me to send them the link so hopefully . I learned a lot and you impressed my in laws. I’m glad I stopped by.

1. Judith

September 12, 2017 at 8:40 am

Thank you for the comment. I hope your relatives were able to settle on a glass they liked.